What to Expect at your LD Caucus
- The caucus process at the legislative district level is time consuming; you should expect to spend the day at the caucus. There are several activities that must be completed for the caucus to be a success.
- Registering and credentialing around 1,200 people will take a significant amount of time. It is highly recommended that you arrive early. To be certain you receive your credentials, make sure you arrive for registration prior to 1:00 p.m. Completing and printing the online pre-registration form will help this process be as smooth and fast as possible, but you will still need to check in and get your credentials at the caucus. Registration should be open by 12:00 p.m. (Note: The blue and yellow certificates of election from the primary caucus are helpful to bring if you have them, but are not required to register.)
- Be sure you know the name of the precinct you are representing and if you were elected as a delegate or alternate. Bringing a copy of the completed pre-registration form with you is an excellent way to help speed the process.
- There may be times that are busier than others. Be prepared to wait patiently when necessary. If/when there are breaks in the program you can use this time to talk with other delegates. If you are planning to be a candidate for delegate to the next level, use this time to talk with others about your desire to be a delegate and gain their support.
- Because this is a lengthy process, be sure you are prepared for any dietary and/or medical needs you may have, and bring any supplies you might need with you.
- Bring your enthusiasm, patience, sense of humor, calm, and helpful spirit.
- Many like to bring some sort of notebook or paper and pen. You often find yourself making new friends and jotting down contact information. If you have business cards, they can be useful, too. Also, if you are a delegate and will be voting on the candidates for the next level you may want to have paper and pen to take notes during the speeches.
- Bring your lunch, if you so choose. Water and snacks can be good to have on hand as well.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. Temperatures change when large numbers of people get in a room, so layers are always a good idea. Wear your favor candidate’s buttons, t-shirts, etc. Be festive!