Each even-numbered year, the Democratic Party holds caucuses and conventions to elect delegates and hear from candidates, as well as adopt resolutions and agree on a platform at the county and state levels.
All Washingtonians who identify as Democrats are encouraged to attend these events, particularly the presidential precinct caucuses, which happen first on March 26th.
There will be five events in this year’s caucus and convention cycle:
- the precinct caucuses on Saturday, March 26th, at 10 AM;
- the legislative district caucuses on Sunday, April 17th at 1 PM;
- the King County Democratic Convention (and other county conventions) on Sunday, May 1st, at 1 PM;
- the congressional district caucuses on Saturday, May 21st (10 AM anticipated start time);
- the Washington State Democratic Convention from June 17th – 19th (all day) in Tacoma.
- Opening ceremonies like the banquet dinner will take place on Friday, June 17th
- The Convention itself will take place on Saturday, June 18th, starting at 9 AM
- Selection of delegates to the Democratic National Convention will take place on Sunday, June 19th
These events will be followed by the Democratic National Convention from July 25th – 28th, 2016, in Philadelphia.